COVID-19 in Children: Resources for Primary Care
An initiative by the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network
Since January 2020, the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network (SCHN) has looked after over 16,000 children and families with COVID-19. This module of resources has been curated for General Practitioners and primary health care workers, to assist with the provision of care to children with COVID-19 in the community.
This lecture series is delivered by a multidisciplinary team of experts and provides a comprehensive overview of COVID-19 epidemiology and describes the important clinical features of COVID-19 as the disease progresses. This learning module is designed to provide healthcare workers with strategies to safely practice and manage children with COVID-19 in the community, and to recognise when to escalate care.
The module consists of complimentary webcasts and a variety of resources to support a holistic approach and provide strategies on how to:
- engage children and families,
- assess the impacts on education, and
- manage the direct and indirect stresses of COVID-19.
Drawing upon the expert advice provided, healthcare workers in the community will be able to advocate for improved health outcomes for all children, including our First Nations People.
The learning module is free to all health professionals treating children and young people can be accessed via the registration link below:Register Now
“A one-stop shop for everything you need to know about COVID-19 in children – brief talks, videos and tips from local experts and around the world”
- Dr Matthew O’Meara
NSW Chief Paediatrician
Introduction by Dr. Joanne Ging, Executive Director of Clinical Operations
- Pathogenesis and disease spectrum
- Severe disease and complications
- Managing Kids with COVID-19 in the community
- Testing for COVID-19
- COVID-19 immunisation for kids
- COVID-19 and high-risk communities
- Supporting family well-being following COVID-19 diagnosis
- COVID-19 impacts on education
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Engaging children during COVID-19
- End-of-module webinar: Managing COVID-19 in kids in the community
This initiative is developed by the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network and hosted on the Sydney Child Health Program’s (SCHP) Learning Platform. Owned by the Network, SCHP is the external facing education hub providing online paediatric education for doctors, nurses, and allied health professionals treating children and young people. To learn more, visit: https://schp.org.au/