Developed by the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network, this learning module is designed to provide nurses with strategies to assess, manage and recognise when to escalate care of paediatric patients with respiratory distress.
The module contains a variety of webcasts presented by Clinical Nurse Consultants of the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network, as well as a curation of clinical resources and guidelines.
Click on Enrol to start learning.
Access to presentations led Clinical Nurse Consultants from SCHN
Clinical guidelines and resources
External resources curated for each topic
The module consists of complimentary webcasts and a variety of resources to support a holistic approach and provide strategies on how to:
Conduct a paediatric respiratory assessment.
Recognise respiratory distress disorders in paediatric patients.
Evaluate when to escalate care of paediatric patients and understand the principles of Humidified High Flow Nasal Cannula Therapy.
Nursing Respiratory Resources
- Nursing Curriculum - Paediatric Respiratory Assessment - Lucy Hatton
- Respiratory System Anatomy
- Adult vs. Paediatric Respiratory System – Respiratory Disorders – Paediatric Nursing | Lecturio
- Paediatric Respiratory System: In a Nutshell – Respiratory Disorders Paediatric Nursing | Lecturio
- Recognising Respiratory Distress - OPENPediatrics
- Systematic Assessment Paediatrics (Clinical Excellence Commission)
- Paediatric Respiratory Assessment Step 1-4 – Respiratory Disorders Paediatric Nursing | Lecturio
- Paediatric Respiratory Assessment Step 5: Ausculation–Respiratory Disorders Nursing
- Introduction to Paediatric Respiratory Disorders– Paediatric Nursing | Lecturio
- Breath sounds
- Nursing Curriculum - Humidified High Flow Nasal Cannula Therapy – Jennifer Vanechop
- Nursing Curriculum - Humidified High Flow Nasal Cannula Therapy – Quick Setup Guide
- RCH Clinical Guidelines - High flow nasal prong (HFNP) therapy
- Nursing Curriculum - Demonstration of respiratory assessment and escalation of care in a patient with bronchiolitis video
- Understanding Bronchiolitis
- RCH Clinical Guidelines - Bronchiolitis PIC
- RCH Clinical Guidelines - Acute Asthma PIC
- Spotting the sick child (you will need to sign up to access resources)
- Further reading material